TERMS OF REFERENCE
The Legal Clinic Network (“LCN”) is an Iraqi NGO supporting legal aid service delivery, awareness raising, and advocacy on behalf of vulnerable Iraqis. LCN is an umbrella organization of 31 registered Iraqi civil society organizations (CSOs) that provide direct legal aid services nationwide through static legal clinics and mobile legal teams. LCN members also provide awareness workshops on legal protection issues, specifically focusing on civil documentation and family law, as well as housing, land and property and administrative law.
Lawyer SCOPE OF WORK
The Lawyer will be responsible for providing quality legal assistance by working closely with housing-land-property beneficiaries (HLPs), legal institutions in Baghdad provinces and directorates of province counsel including High Judicial counsel. The Lawyer will conduct all necessary legal and non-legal interventions (including selected and approved advocacy) toward, primarily, the authorities in charge, as well as other stakeholders. This lawyer will also be responsible for providing proper legal case management of (HLPs) to ensure full respect of the defendant’s rights in ongoing and envisioned processes.
- Be physically accessible to HLP beneficiaries in Baghdad provinces and provide legal assistance to those beneficiaries. This legal assistance may include legal representation before relevant court(s)/governmental bodies, pursuant to applicable Iraqi legislation and international legal standards, and legal consultations to those that may have questions;
- Visit/liaise with the authorities in charge (Judicial institutions and government departments in Baghdad) to obtain/verify relevant information and evidence and discern security issues;
- Provide consistent and thorough reports about the represented cases that include: context, procedural taken, meetings and advocacy activities, and client’s treatment and access to social benefits
- Communicate to supervisors and higher management any urgent concerns and required high-level intervention/support in particularly sensitive cases;
- Follow procedures for legal representation and United Nations guidelines and advise clients of the options to solve their particular legal problem and make recommendations for their best course of action;
- Document HLPs patterns and legal aid services to IDPs;
- Advocate on behalf of clients and make direct interventions with the Government of Iraq, authorities (e.g. phone calls, letters or meetings), national or international organizations, when applicable;
- Ensure adequate case management, with maintained accurate paper records on each client
- Provide information to the supervisors for periodic reports and ad hoc queries.
- Maintain constructive/supporting work relations with all relevant LCN employees.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience:
- Bachelors degree in law
- Previous work experience in managing PWD legal cases is preferred;
- Proficiency in MS Office PC Suite Applications (e.g. Microsoft Office and Microsoft Excel);
- Understanding of policy and regulations in relevant fields;
- Demonstrated moral character in professional and relevant social circles;
- Experience working with people with diverse backgrounds and in the humanitarian contexts;
- Ability to interpret, analyze, and synthesize information in a fast-paced environment;
- Proven ability to operate in a team environment liaising with a diverse team;
- Ability to manage a varied workload and prioritize tasks, work under pressure and meet deadlines;
- Experience of using own initiative and problem-solving attitude;
- Acceptable English language (Speaking, reading, and writing).
Please send your CV to the emails below:firstname.lastname@example.org deadline will be June 13 2018