TERMS OF REFERENCE
The Legal Clinic Network (“LCN”) is an Iraqi NGO supporting legal aid service delivery, awareness raising, and advocacy on behalf of vulnerable Iraqis. LCN is an umbrella organization of 31 registered Iraqi civil society organizations (CSOs) that provide direct legal aid services nationwide through static legal clinics and mobile legal teams. LCN members also provide awareness workshops on legal protection issues, specifically focusing on civil documentation and family law, as well as housing, land and property and administrative law.
Lawyer SCOPE OF WORK
The Lawyer will be responsible for providing quality legal assistance working closely with People with Disabilities Beneficiaries (PWDs), legal institutions in Dhi Qar governorate and subordinate directorates to the Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs (MoLSA). The Lawyer will conduct all necessary legal and non-legal interventions (including selected and approved advocacy) toward, primarily, the authorities in charge, as well as other stakeholders, as well as providing proper legal cases management of PWDs to ensure full respect of the defendant’s rights in ongoing and envisioned processes.
- Physically access Persons with Disabilities (PWDs) clients in IDPs camps and population areas in Dhi Qar governorate and provide legal assistance including legal representation before relevant court(s)/governmental bodies, pursuant to applicable Iraqi legislation and international legal standards;
- Visit/liaise with the authorities in charge (Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs departments and Dhi Qar provincial council) to obtain/verify relevant information and evidence and discern security issues;
- Provide consistent and thorough reports about the represented cases, detailing, among the rest: context, undertaken procedural steps, meetings and advocacy activities, client’s treatment and access to social benefits
- Communicate to supervisors and higher management any urgent concerns and required high-level intervention/support in particularly sensitive cases;
- Follow procedures for legal representation and United Nations guidelines and advise client of the options to solve their particular legal problem and make recommendations on the best actions to take;
- Document PWDs patterns and conditions in IDPs population areas as to, among the rest, adequacy of the venue and availability of essential services;
- Advocate on behalf of clients and make direct interventions with the Government of Iraq, authorities (e.g. phone calls, letters or meetings), national or international organizations, when applicable;
- Ensure adequate case management, with maintained accurate paper records on each client
- Provide information to the supervisors for periodic reports and ad hoc queries.
- Maintain constructive/supporting work relations with all relevant LCN employees.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience:
- Bachelor degree in Law
- Previous work experience in managing PWD legal cases is preferred
- Proficiency in MS Office PC Suite Applications (e.g. Microsoft Office and Microsoft Excel)
- Understanding of policy and regulations in relevant fields
- Demonstrated renown in professional and relevant social circles;
- Experience working with people with different backgrounds and in the humanitarian contexts.
- Ability to interpret, analyze, and synthesize information in a fast-paced environment
- Proven ability to operate in a team environment liaising with a diverse team.
- Ability to manage a varied workload and prioritize tasks, work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Experience of using own initiative and problem-solving attitude.
- Acceptable English language (Speaking, reading and writing).
Please send your CV to the emails below: