Case Tracking Lawyer
TERMS OF REFERENCE
The Legal Clinic Network (LCN) is an Iraqi NGO supporting legal aid service delivery, awareness raising, and advocacy on behalf of vulnerable Iraqis. LCN is an umbrella organization of 31 registered Iraqi civil society organizations (CSOs) that provide direct legal aid services nationwide through static legal clinics and mobile legal teams. LCN members also provide awareness workshops on legal protection issues, specifically focusing on civil documentation and family law, as well as housing, land and property and administrative law.
Case Tracking Lawyer SCOPE OF WORK
The Case Tracking Lawyer will be responsible for providing quality legal assistance working closely with LCN Partners, the Case Tracking Lawyer will conduct all necessary legal and non-legal interventions (including selected and approved advocacy) toward, primarily, the authorities in charge, as well as other stakeholders, to ensure full respect of the defendant’s rights in ongoing and envisioned processes.
- Visit/liaise with the authorities in charge (intelligence and other relevant agencies/departments) to obtain/verify relevant information and evidence and discern security issues;
- Provide consistent and thorough reports about the represented cases, detailing, among the rest: context, charges, legal defense grounds/strategy, undertaken procedural steps;
- Communicate to supervisors and higher management any urgent concerns and required high-level intervention/support in particularly sensitive cases;
- Follow procedures for legal representation and UNHCR guidelines and advise client of the options to solve their particular legal problem and make recommendations on the best actions to take;
- Document Case patterns and conditions in detention facilities as to, among the rest, adequacy of the venue and availability of essential services;
- Advocate on behalf of clients and make direct interventions with the Government of Iraq, authorities (e.g. phone calls, letters or meetings), national or international organizations, when applicable;
- Ensure adequate case management, with maintained accurate paper records on each client
- Provide information to the supervisors for periodic reports and ad hoc queries.
- Maintain constructive/supporting work relations with all relevant LCN employees.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience:
- Bachelor degree in Law
- Previous experience of UNHCR Protection Cluster.
- Proficiency in MS Office.
- Understanding of policy and regulations in related fields
- Demonstrated renown in professional and relevant social circles;
- Experience working with people with different backgrounds and in humanitarian contexts.
- Ability to interpret, analyze, and synthesize information in a fast-paced environment
- Proven ability to operate in a team environment liaising with a diverse team.
- Ability to manage a varied workload and prioritize tasks, work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Experience of using own initiative and problem-solving attitude.
- Acceptable English language (Speaking, reading and writing).
Please send a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org